Terrazzo is a beautiful stone and just like marbles they are also perfect to design countertops, floors and other parts of the house. Basically, terrazzo is made with two parts of marble and one part of cement. Then, some marble chips were added that sprinkle on the surface. Typically, the surface of the terrazzo is composed of at least 70% of marble. Terrazzo need proper care and treatment in order to keep them beautiful. The following are some basic tips on how to clean stains on terrazzo surface.
- Stains due to spills of liquid or alcoholic beverages can be cleaned by means of hot soapy water. In case the stain is stubborn and persistent, you can use or add small amount of denatured alcohol. If the stain still remains, soak a cloth in hydrogen peroxide and place it directly to the stains.
- Blood stains can be cleaned by using cold, clean water. In case the blood stain does not go away, simply add some drops of ammonia to the water and wipe it all over the blood stains. For stubborn blood stains, using lukewarm water is better to use. Then, sprinkled some powdered malt to the blood stains and let it sit for one hour and then rinse.
- Get a piece of cloth and damp it into the glycerine. This solution is best to treat coffee stains, tea, sodas and others. Let the glycerine sit for some minutes. Moreover, for alternative, you can also use a paste of hydrogen peroxide with calcium carbonate or any abrasive powder mixed with hot water. Put the paste to the stained terrazzo surface and allow it to sit for at least one hour.
- Oil and greasy stains on the terrazzo surfaces can be removed effectively by using warm water mixed some amount of liquid soap. Choose a mild ad gentle soap solution.
- Ink stains is one of the hardest stains to remove. But for fresh ink stains, it can be simply remove by cleaning it with warm water and liquid soap. On the other hand, for older ink stains, use at least two tablespoon of sodium carbonatethen add a pint of water. Mix it until it turn into a paste form. Apply it to the ink stains.
- Simply place a clean cloth with saturated hydrogen peroxide and then wipe it over the drink stains.
- Do not use vinegar in cleaning stains on the terrazzo because it can cause serious damages. Acid is also harmful to the natural characteristics of the terrazzo stones.
January 01 2014