When you think of concrete floors, you must have in your mind some industrial areas and large warehouses. But concrete floors are becoming popular in loft apartments, studios, and condo units, though not the dull-looking unpolished concrete floors you have in mind. You want the polished concrete floors which can be an inexpensive alternative to tiles, marble, or granite. Concrete floor polishing can make a big difference in your home. Polished concrete creates a perfect balance of practicality and beauty. Your dirty, gray concrete floors can be transformed into easy-to-clean, durable, shiny, and polished floors.
With the recent advances in concrete floor cleaning and polishing techniques and equipment, you can now find professional contractors who grind concrete floor surfaces to high-gloss finish that you don’t have to wax or coat.
Much as you want to do the concrete polishing yourself, you have to consider that the process requires expertise and the use of heavy-duty polishing machine. These very expensive machines are equipped with diamond-impregnated disks which gradually grind down the surfaces to whatever degree of shine and smoothness you desire.
Concrete polishing may not be one of those do-it-yourself projects that you can tackle because of the investment needed on the machine and the skill that is required to do the job. You can hire professional concrete polishing contractors to do the concrete polishing job for you. Most of these contractors have their own concrete polishing machine.
Concrete polishing can be done on your old or new concrete floors. If you are familiar with wood sanding, concrete polishing is similar to sanding hardwood. It removes the old surface and replaces it with new, shiny concrete. You especially need polishing when your floor has been used for several years and is showing signs of wear and tear. Even for your concrete floor which has just been installed, concrete polishing can be a good finishing step because it removes dust collected during installation, thus your floor can shine like a mirror. But for severe damages, concrete floor repair must be done.
- Your polished concrete floors are easy to clean, they don’t trap dirt, dust, mold, mildew, or allergens.
- Since your floors are polished and not porous, nothing can get inside. If you have someone in your home who suffers from allergies, asthma, or other respiratory problems, polished concrete is a good choice for your flooring.
- You only have to do occasional damp mopping. Its glossy surface does not stain when you accidentally spill oil and grease on your floor.
- Your polished concrete floors are durable and can last hundreds of years, they are not as vulnerable to damage as the other more expensive flooring materials.
- Polished concrete floors can save you energy because its glass-like effect shines and reflects light and heat, enough to reduce your energy consumption. Its signature finish brightens your home.
With technology on your side, you don’t have to put up with a dull and boring slab of concrete for your flooring. You can have professionals polish your concrete floors, and you can even choose from different styles, and different colors. There is a polished concrete floor for your every need.Find me on Google+
January 01 2014